(WMBF) – As Hurricane Florence barrels towards the South Carolina coast, Governor Henry McMaster has ordered a mandatory evacuation for Coastal Counties effective September 11 at Noon.
Here is a list of emergency shelters that are open following the Governor issuing a Mandatory Evacuation Order:
- Aynor Middle School – 400 Frye Road Galivants Ferry, SC 29544 – Capacity: 1,026
- Conway High School – 2301 Church Street Conway, SC 29526 – Capacity:1,278
- Loris High School – 301 Loris Lions Road Loris, SC 29569 – Capacity: 1,163
- North Myrtle Beach High School – 3750 Sea Mountain Hwy, Little River, SC 29566 – Capacity: 778
- Palmetto Bay Elementary School – 8900 Hwy 544 Myrtle Beach, SC 29588 – Capacity: 479
- Whittemore Park Middle School – 1808 Rhue Street Conway, SC 29527 – Capacity: 847
Additionally, it was announced on Wednesday the city of Conway has opened a shelter for flood victims who had to evacuate from their homes due to the aftermath of Hurricane Florence.
According to a press release, the shelter is located at the Conway Recreation Center at 1515 Mill Pond Road. Conway City Council has also authorized those with RVs or campers to park and stay at the rec center in the parking area between the baseball fields and Mill Pond Road.
- Pleasant Hill Elementary School – 127 Schoolhouse Drive, Hemingway, SC 29554
- Andrews Elementary School – 13072 County Line Road, Andrews, SC 29510
- Lake City High School – 652 N Matthews Rd, Lake City, SC 29560
- Wilson High School – 1411 E Old Marion Hwy, Florence, SC 29506
- South Florence High School – 3200 S Irby St, Florence, SC 29505
- Hannah-Pamplico M/E School – 2131 S Pamplico Hwy, Pamplico, SC 29583
- Timmonsville Education Center – 304 Kemper St, Timmonsville, SC 29161
Darlington Middle School – 150 Pinedale Drive, Darlington, SC 29532
Lumberton High (full) – 3901 Fayetteville Rd, Lumberton, NC 28358
Purnell Swett High – 11344 Deep Branch Rd, Maxton, NC 28364
St Pauls High – 648 N Old Stage Rd, St Pauls, NC 28384 – Will accept animals (dogs, cats) free of charge. Only service animals allowed with certification.
Fairmont Middle – 402 Iona St, Fairmont, NC 28340
South Robeson High – 3268 S. Robeson Rd, Rowland, NC 28383
Should you need the local shelters, here are a few tips:
1.) Shelters may be crowded.
2.) Shelters do not accept pets.
3.) Shelters are not designed for comfort.
4.) Residents will need to take their own supplies such as batteries, bedding, identification, toiletries, clothing, etc.
5.) Shelters do not accept guns, alcohol or animals.
6.) Residents needing shelters to accommodate special medical needs should call 843.915.8804 to pre-register.
You can visit BringFido for a list of pet-friendly shelters. According to the website, all pet-friendly shelters require pre-registration of pets, proof of residency within the evacuation zone, and current medical and vaccination records for each pet. While in the shelter, owners are responsible for the feeding, care, clean-up, and behavior of their pets. Shelter openings are incident-specific. Never go to a shelter unless local officials have announced it is open and you have filled out the pre-registration form. See below for a list of pet-friendly shelters opening for Hurricane Florence. It will continue to be updated as more shelters are announced.
For shelters and shelter information, call the American Red Cross: 843-477-0020. Click here for the South Carolina Emergency Management Division’s list of shelters.
Copyright 2018 WMBF News. All right reserved.